I’ve been making it this way since I was little. I believe it is quite simple.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tea bag of Lipton or your store brand tea bags (yes, the cheaper ones are better)
- Add 1/2 cup water to a sauce pan, on medium heat.
- When water begins to boil slightly, add 1 regular ole’ tea bag.
- Add 1/2 cup milk when tea has steeped (the water turns a reddish brown), turn heat to low.
- Watch it carefully, as this is the messy part.
- Once it starts to boil up, carefully remove from heat and blow gently to ease it down.
- Don’t forget to turn the stove off.
- Pour the tea into the cup and add sugar/sweetener/spices to your liking!
- You can google chai masala and get plenty of spice blend recipes. This is just the recipe for the base which is great on its own.
That’s it. That’s how I’ve done it for about 15 years. I’ve never had a complaint as to the taste, so, many thanks to my parents for teaching me how to make it!
For those on the low carb diets (no milk and sugar), you can substitute 1/4 heavy cream mixed with 1/4 water for the 1/2 cup of regular milk.